Thursday, February 8, 2007

My third post, and already into the "mom" stuff!

Bruce,

Yesterday, I sat down and wrote out a very thoughtful and witty blog, complete with perfectly placed pictures. It took me about an hour to do. And then, I either hit backspace or moved my mouse slightly to the left, and erased the whole thing. This happens to me remarkably often.

So...no pictures of cats or knitting for you!!

I am putting in a lot of good, hard work on the ol' clapotis. (Not that I really have to link that) I'm already at the decrease section! As soon as I finish it, I will post a picture on here, I promise! I'm very excited to finally have knit the "must-knit" item of 2004. My next project was going to be the Emerald sweater...but I might try something smaller and less ambitious. By which I mean I'll probably knit nothing but washrags for a month. Hooray!

In other news, I have been invited to 2 baby showers in the last 2 weeks. Babies!! On the one hand, I'm kind of excited about the prospect of knitting baby stuff. (Alpaca hats!) On the other hand, it's kind of like how I started getting invited to weddings where people my age were getting married (ahem!). I guess this is another one of those things I'm going to have to get used to people my age (or much younger) doing.

By the way, I hope the above paragraph doesn't make me sound anti-marriage or anti-baby (heh heh...). I just worry that when this stuff starts happening to other people my age, my mother will pick up on it. It was uncanny how quickly her tune changed from "I wish you would concentrate more on your future and not spend so much time with that boy!" to "So, are you seeing anyone special?" as soon as you and Emily Toerner sent her wedding invitations. It is very frustrating for me that as much of a die-hard liberal and feminist she is, she still harbors all these horrible, traditional, self-hating beliefs and has managed to turn them against me. More comprehensive sex ed in schools! By the way, Karen, I'm so glad that you've decided to wait until you're married. (Yeah, okay mom. Whatever you say.)

It's probably really weird for her. I mean, she is smart and knows what she believes, but her own mother's voice is still inside her head, telling her that yes, the poor really are poor because they're lazy. (I am paraphrasing, but that's pretty much the gist of my grandparent's world view.)

But I digress. I am reeeeeeally looking forward to this summer! Comfest will be totally awesome, and Oh Lord! Harry Potter! Thank you, by the way, for putting the "countdown" on our blog...just so there's no confusion about who we really are!

Later Gator,
Brax

2 comments:

itgirl said...

I assume all y'all are aware of the Harry Potter knitting book?

matty said...

Way to link, Karen! I suspect this will be a quite successful blog if y'all keep at it. Knitting + drinking + HPo + humor = LOYAL NICHE AUDIENCE.