Thursday, June 21, 2007

A post about knitting, sort of!

Brucie,

Knitting! I know, right? I mean, this is a knitting blog. But like you, I don't seem to be doing much knitting lately. It's summer, it's freaking hot out, and I am busy! But I do have some pretty sweet yarn shots for you. Unfortunately, after knitting half the body of the wrap-around sweater I was working on, I discovered that huge gague nonwithstanding, my sweater was about 4 sizes too small. Whoops! That yarn substitution will get ya every time! So sadly, but with conviction, I cracked open a Miller Hi Life and frogged the whole thing. Here's the pretty silk lace-weight yarn I'll be knitting it out of (again, on 11's):
Hand dyed, of course, by Karida. Thank you again Karida! Prettiest yarn ever! Moving on, I'm also planning on knitting the mohair scarf from Summer Knitty outta this:
It's soft, it's green, it's sitting in a bowl. So, that's all the knitting news out here in Braxville. Other than not knitting, I have been putting my kitchen together. I've got pictures of that, too, but this is already a picture-heavy post. I think we'll save it for when I have nothing else to talk about. I've also been doing a lot of shopping at Target for stuff for my new place, and you know how they have those enticing DVD displays at checkout? Well, look what I found:

My favorite movie from 3rd grade! I used to watch this thing 3 times a week, whenever I went over to my friend Laura's house. (They went to my dad's church, and were extremely wealthy and had a house that looked like a castle to me, in comparison to our house which was actually crooked, I'm pretty sure. After we moved away, I heard they disowned their gay son.) When I was a kid, I was of course thrilled by all the dancing and the sex, but I never picked up on the whole abortion sub-plot. I guess it's because they never say "abortion" or "pregnant;" they say things like "in trouble" and "take care of it." Oh, the sixties! Oscar seems incredulous that I would be so naive.
While unpacking, I've also come across some of the old patterns my grandmother gave me when she heard I had learned how to knit. It's like my very own museum of kitchy stitches!
Maybe this should be our blog picture:

And check this out! Don't they test for these sorts of things in the womb?

No jokes about these children. They are scary! Don't believe me?.........



AAAAAAAA!!! Children of the corn!


Finally, nothing says love like a bulky, white, seed-stitch and cabled sweater.

See you tomorrow!!
Love,
Braxie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

man, the one picture is super hot!

Karen said...

Whoa! Scary kids is right! Hey, check out skeinsandbeans.com to see what I did last Tuesday at knitting nite. ;-) I'm always up to some mischief. I hope you'll join us. Get out of the Old West End for a little bit!

Karida said...

Oh Karen, Libby and I are planning an intervention. A gauge/swatching/yarn substitution intervention. No more unknitting for you!

Unknown said...

Someone has left a comment in Portugese. That is the baddest-ass thing ever. I only know Spanish, so I can only read half of it. Damn.